Bolu is located in Blacksea Region. The city has around 250.000 population. The city’s history starts from the 1200s B.C. during the Phrygian era. Bolu is famous for its natural sources. The city was controlled by numerous civilizations in orderly Hittites, Phrygians, Macedonians, Bithynians, Romans, and Ottomans. The city was named Salonia Campus by Bythinians. Then it’s changed to Claudio Polis by Romans.
Here is a list of modern and historical facilities of Bolu;
Where to see?
- Bolu Gölcük Tabiat Parkı(Natural Park): That’s an artificial lake located 13 km south of the city center. It has a 1217 meters elevation. There is a magnificent view in every season with its numerous trees such as Pines, Fir, Fagus and Hornbeam. Also a restaurant, a cafeteria, a buffet, a praying room and bungalov typed accommodation facilities.
- Abant Gölü Tabiat Parkı(Natural Park): The crater lake is a formation on Abant Mountains. It’s located 34 km southwest of the city center. The lake has a wealthy flora and fauna. There are numerous trees, flowers and plants founded around the lake. Also there is a unique fish that grows in the lake.
- Akkaya Travertines: It’s located on 10km southwest of Bolu. Those are the only travertines which save their natural formation. Especially in summers, pools are gaining attention.
- Kartalkaya Kayak Merkezi(Ski Resort): One of the most important ski resorts of Turkey is located 38 km southeast of Bolu city center. There are 5 resorts serving 1600 beds during winter months. Alongside two main ski slopes, 18 complexes and 25 paths are found. Any type of ski material can be rented in the complex. The biggest snowparks of Turkey are found in this resort.
- Yedigöller Milli Parkı(Seven Lakes National Park): The park is found on the west of Blacksea Region. There are seven lakes formed from groundling and underground water flows. The remnants from Byzantian era shows that there was settlements before. The park and the lakes are magnificent destinations for nature lovers.
The other important destinations of Bolu are; Yıldırım Bayezid Camii(Mosque), Göynük Zafer Kulesi(Tower) and Bolu Museum.