Kayseri is located in the Central Anatolian Region. The city has around 1.450.000 population. One of the oldest cities of the world is also known as Mazaka or Kaisareia. The city’s history starts with the Hittites in 4000 BC. The first settlement of the city was in Kültepe(Kaniş), 22km far from the Kayseri city center. It’s one of the biggest mounds in Anatolia. Kayseri was used from 4000 BC. to the end of the Roman era. Later on, Kayseri was ruled by Byzantines, Seljuks, Anatolian Principalities, and Ottomans. Kayseri is famous for its history and nature.
Here is a list of modern and historical destinations of Kayseri;
Where to see?
- Kültepe: The first settlement of Kayseri, Kültepe is located 24km far from the city center. There are remnants of official and religious buildings, houses, shops, and workshops from the first city of Hittites in Anatolia. Kültepe was the trade center of Assyrians.
- Kayseri Kalesi ve Surları(Castle and Walls): The castle was built by Romans in the 3rd century. It was rebuilt during the Seljukian Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat I. era. It’s located in the city center. Nowadays it’s more like a Middle-Age castle. The castle is divided in two parts as the inner and outer castle.
- Döner Kümbet(Cupola): The cupola is located in Melikgazi county. It’s dated 1276. It belonged to Shah Cihan Sultan. It’s famous for its adornments.
- Yaman Dede Camii / Panaya Church: The building is located in Talas county. It was built in 1886 for the Greek citizens. After Greek citizens left the Talas, the church changed to a mosque. Nowadays, there are cultural shops located under the mosque.
- Kapuzbaşı Şelaleleri(Waterfalls): Kapuzbaşı waterfalls occurred by 5 big and 2 small waterfalls side by side. The waterfalls have 40-50 meters in height. The waterfalls from 700 meters altitude. The waterfalls are located in Küçükçakır town of Yahyalı county.
- Sultan Sazlığı(Bird Sanctuary): The bird sanctuary is located in Yahyalı county, on the north of Mount Erciyes, 70 km far from the city center. Sultan Sazlığı hosts around 300 bird kinds and 400 plant species. Sultan Sazlığı is a perfect destination for those who want to observe nature. It’s possible to move by boat in reeds.
The other important destinations of Kayseri are Mount Erciyes, Gesi Bağları, Germir-Tavlusun ve Derevenk Vadisi(Valley), Kayseri Clock Tower.
Please login or Register to submit your answer