Mersin is a port city, located in Mediterranean Region. City has a 1.900.000 population. City’s history starts from 6300 BC. In Hellenistic era, the city was named Zephyrion. After the Hellenistic era, the city was ruled by Romans, Tulunids, Byzantians, Armenian Kingdom, Mamluks, and Ottomans. The famous statesman and philosopher Marcus Tullius Cicero was the proconsul of the city. Mersin is famous for its nature and history.
Here is a list of historical and modern destinations of Mersin;
Where to see?
- Kızkalesi(Castle): It’s also known as Deniz Kalesi(Sea Castle). The castle is located on an islet 600 meters far from the coast. It was built by Leon I. in 1199. The castle was restrained by the Cyprus Kingdom in 1361. Castle was a shelter for pirates in the Roman era. During the excavations, a chapel, mosaics, and cisterns were found.
- Nusrat Mayın Gemisi(Mine Ship): The mines set by Nusrat changed the fate of the war during the Çanakkale War. The mines of the Nusrat got Bouvet, Inflexible, and Bolva ships down. This was later mentioned by several generals and commanders.
- Anemurium Ancient City: The ancient city is located in Anamur county. The foundation of the city is unknown. It’s thought to be from the 4th century BC. The city was used as a way station because of its short distance to Cyprus. The port city is basically used for trade. The remnants from numerous civilizations are worth visiting.
- Mersin Archeology Museum: One of the good examples of contemporary museology is located in the city center. 1435 findings are exhibited in the museum. Visitors can have a chronological journey in time at the entrance. Also the findings of the ancient cities around Mersin are exhibited here.
- Soli Pompeipolis: The ancient city’s history starts in the 6th century BC. In order, The Great Alexandre, Persians, Seleucids and Romans were dominant in the city. Soli was also a diocese. Today, we can see the remnants of Columnar Street, Soli Mound, and the Ancient port.
Alahan Manastırı(Monastery), Mamure Kalesi(Castle), Kleopatra Kapısı(Door) are other destinations of Mersin.
Please login or Register to submit your answer